After moving my Magento 1.9 store to a new host I got the error below and couldn’t fit it:
Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons.
I tried a method mentioned at HostGator (not my host) which required me to navigate to the magento/lib/Zend/Cache/Backend/File.php and change a bit of code. Unfortunately, that did not work for me.
I also tried deleting the cache from var/cache but that didn’t work.
I had enabled the errors list to be shown on the page by going to the errors folder from root installation and changing the local.xml.sample file to just local.xml.
From there I got the error:
magento SQLSTATE[HY000]  Can’t connect to MySQL server on x.x.x.x
Basically a connection error with my MySQL database. I went to the softaculous installation and changed the details there from the old host IP address to localhost assuming that would change it but it didn’t work.
I couldn’t find the config file where the database details were stored until I visited this site. The link is to a post that describes a different but related issue, the main thing is the file locations.
I had to change the file local.xml located in app/etc/local.xml which I had never done before. Inside the file there was data related the connection to the database. I simply downloaded, changed the host to localhost and left the username, password and everything else the same.
<initStatements><![CDATA[SET NAMES utf8]]></initStatements>
Uploaded the file and it was working again.